April 2020’s Class by Mail features three card designs (including a buckle fold design) using the Birthday Bonanza suite.
Also, check out my Pinterest board with lots of fun ideas using the Birthday Bonanza suite.
I’ve been spending a lot of time creating with the Birthday Bonanza suite of Stampin’ Up! products. I love the whimsical animals, and especially with the stress and anxiety of coronavirus/COVID-19 right now, I’ll take any excuse for bright colors and cheer! I have three Birthday Bonanza card designs that will be part of the April 2020 class by mail (sign up by April 5, 2020, if you’d like to participate!), and the card I’m featuring in this post was my swap for the month of March.
This card features a fun buckle fold design. I’ll outline the general steps I took to make the card below, but please leave a comment if you have any questions!
Note: I always like to start with my stamping first. I like to make sure I allow the ink plenty of time to dry, and just in case I mess up, this allows me to flip the cardstock over and get a free second chance!
1. Use Coastal Cabana ink to stamp the pom pom image randomly on a piece of Whisper White cardstock measuring 5 1/4″ x 4″.
2. Use Bermuda Bay ink to stamp “Let’s celebrate you!” on a piece of Whisper White cardstock that measures 3 3/8″ x 1 3/4″.
3. Die cut a Bermuda Bay scalloped circle (approximately 2 1/4″ in diameter) using the Layering Circles Dies.
4. Die cut a Whisper White stitched circle (approximately 1 7/8″ in diameter) using the Stitched Shapes Dies.
Creating the Buckle Fold
5. Adhere a piece of Birthday Bonanza Designer Series Paper measuring 4″ x 2 3/4″ to a Bermuda Bay card base that measures 8 1/2″ x 4 1/4″, scored at 5 1/2″. The DSP will fit with an equal border on all sides on the smaller side of the scored card base.
6. Slide the card base/DSP layer into the Classic Label Punch. Insert the paper all the way, so the cardstock touches the back of the punch, center on the left and right sides, and punch.
7. Use a Bone Folder to crease the Bermuda Bay card base along the score line.
8. Adhere the Whisper White cardstock stamped with the pom pom to the inside of the card base.
9. Use a bone folder to crease a piece of Coastal Cabana cardstock that measures 7 1/4″ x 2″, scored at 3 5/8″.
10. Apply Snail adhesive to the back of this folded piece of cardstock, making sure it opens the opposite way a card would normally open.
11. With the Bermuda Bay card base closed, slip the top half of the folded Coastal Cabana cardstock in the punched slot. Keeping the edge of the Coastal Cabana cardstock inside the slot, position the bottom half (with adhesive) on the inside of the card base so it is straight and apply pressure to adhere.
12. Adhere the “Let’s celebrate you!” Whisper White cardstock inside the Coastal Cabana folded piece.
Finishing Touches on Card Front
13. Use Snail adhesive to attach the Whisper White stitched circle to the Bermuda Bay scalloped circle. Adhere this assembly to the front of the Coastal Cabana buckle.
14. Fussy-cut a koala image from the Birthday Bonanza DSP and adhere to the Whisper White stitched circle using Snail adhesive.
I hope you enjoyed this card design! You could use many different color combinations and animals from the DSP to switch it up and have more fun designs. I’ve linked all the supplies I used below, and you can order them by clicking the supply images or selecting “Place a Stampin’ Up! Order” along the top of the screen.
I'm part of a swap group that creates and swaps new Stampin' Up! card designs each month. I love this group for getting new ideas and pushing my own creativity. Today I'm sharing my February 2020 swap design, featuring the Happy Birthday To You Sale-A-Bration stamp set. I love the images in this stamp set, and the fact that I earned it for free with a $50 purchase was the icing on the cake! (See what I did there?! Pun definitely intended!)
I immediately thought of a wedding cake when I saw the cake image, so I decided to use greetings from the Flourishing Phrases stamp set to pull the card together. I'll outline the general steps I took to make the card below, but please leave a comment if you have any questions!
Note: I always like to start with my stamping first. I like to make sure I allow the ink plenty of time to dry, and just in case I mess up, this enables me to flip the cardstock over and get a free second chance!
1. Use Memento Tuxedo Black Ink to stamp the cake image on a piece of Thick Whisper White cardstock measuring 3 1/2″ x 2 3/4″.
2. Still using Memento ink, stamp “Marriage is a Journey” on a 2″ x 1 1/2″ piece of Petal Pink cardstock.
3. Finally, use Memento ink to stamp a greeting of choice for the inside of the card. I used a piece of 5 1/4″ x 4″ Whisper White cardstock to make sure it would be easy to write in the card, and I used the greeting “GOOD THING YOU GET TO BRING YOUR BEST FRIEND ALONG” from the Flourishing Phrases stamp set… I love how that pairs with the outer greeting!
4. Use the Country Floral 3D Embossing Folder to emboss a Whisper White piece of cardstock cut to 5 1/4″ x 4″.
5. With a Sponge Dauber dipped in Petal Pink ink, use a light circular motion to add ink to flowers on the embossed cardstock. Start with a small amount of ink and add on to reach the desired color intensity. This is meant to look random and imperfect, so don’t worry about even or accurate coverage!
6. Use Stampin’ Blends to add color to the stamped cake image. I used Dark and Light Petal Pink for the cake stand and flowers, with Light Daffodil Delight for accents. Old Olive (both light and dark) finished out the coloring of the leaves. (See final image on the bottom of the page for more detail.)
7. Die cut the colored cake image using the Birthday Dies.
8. Cut an additional cake shape on Petal Pink cardstock measuring 3 1/2″ x 2 3/4″.
9. Die cut the “Marriage is a Journey” greeting using the Stitched Rectangle Dies.
10. Fold a Petal Pink card base measuring 8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ in half along the center score line at 4 1/4″.
11. Use SNAIL Adhesive to attach embossed Whisper White to card front and inner greeting to inside.
12. Cut Petal Pink Cake in half vertically. Adhere to the sides of the stamped cake image using SNAIL.
13. Use Stampin’ Dimensionals and Mini Dimensionals to adhere greeting and mounted cake to card front.
14. Add Champagne Rhinestone Basic Jewels for a final embellishment!
I hope you enjoyed this swap design. I had such a fun time designing it and can’t wait to share it with some newlyweds this spring! I’ve linked all the supplies I used below, and you can order them by clicking the supply images or selecting “Place a Stampin’ Up! Order” along the top of the screen.
Links by TheseAreMyStamps.com
February 2020’s Class by Mail featured three card designs (including a fun fold design) using the Honey Bee bundle. I love the gold foil accents in the Golden Honey Designer Series Paper!
Also, check out my Pinterest page with lots of ideas using the Honey Bee bundle.